• The bbqgeeks forum is moving to a new server! Posting will be closed until the move is complete.

An Idea for Ribs

A

alighieri00

I was reading another forum regarding the proper way to cook ribs. The general consensus is that slow is the way to go. I tend to agree, but I had an idea. Has anyone ever tried to deep fry ribs? Seems like deep fried ribs would yield a nice outer crunch, much like deep fried turkey or steak. I'm thinking it would probably be terrible, but I'm also curious now. Has anyone ever done this?

J

JohnB

Why don't you try frying up some and letting us know the results of your experiment? I say go for it. Probably there's a reason, or restaurants would have them on their menus. My guess is that the slow-cooking process yields superior texture and flavor.

M

Mrs. Pirz

I had them ONCE - my mom and I tried it one night that our BBQ wasn't working back in my teen years. Not the best to tell you the truth but its edible. The meat comes out tougher, not really very juicy but I guess if youre hungry and have bbq sauce you can close your eyes and pretend its "grandmas brisket" or something.

T

TopChef

Yeah, tough would have been my prediction. Sure is a fun idea, though. As they say, you can eat most anything if it is deep fried.

D

dashboardc33

Hmm... that would be interesting-deep fried ribs. I'm not sure if I would like that. The only thing deep fried I really like are sides like french fries, cheese curds, jalapeno poppers, breaded mushrooms, etc. Too much deep fried food makes me feel sick with all of the oil. I am not sure that I would be able to eat my main meal being deep fried.

jason

Nec timeo, nec sperno
Staff member
My line of thinking. Cooking low and slow gives a chance for the heat to break down the fibers in the meat and makes the meat more tender. Deep frying would be a fast process and would not give a chance for the meat fibers to break down. So the meat will be tougher. But I will try anything once.

J

Jimmymadness

Try it, as i am curious now too! I would imagine cooking it slow is the most popular for a reason. As stated if deep frying tasted good restaurants would do it, as it is much faster.

B

BBQSteve

you can deep fry ribs ... probably be inedible ... depending on your taste ... deep fried turkey is good cause it does not benefit from long slow cooking .. ribs need low and slow ... you are trying to break down the collegens in the meat ... some meats take more time than others to achieve this ...

M

Meow

I imagine it would just dry them out a lot. Probably be something like eating wood chips off a bone...

Eugh.

S

shaun

They use this technique in China - the ribs are coated with a 5 spice mixture and deep-fried. They serve it with a sweet sauce, we had it with plum sauce. It was one of the best ribs I have ever had, the texture is totally different to smoked/grilled ribs.

W

Waynefire

I like to slow cook my ribs. This is the best way to get them tender and ready to be eaten, where you would not be able to eat them because of them being tough if it was taking a long period of time. So you can see just how much fun it is to slow cook ribs over open flame.

J

jovan107

Deep fried ribs would be very interesting. I could only imagine the taste. I have never heard of deep fried ribs, but since we could deep fry so many other things, why not ribs? I cook ribs a variety of ways, but I have never deep fried.

T

TequilaShotsAtTheBar

I have had deep fried spare ribs from the local Chinese restaurant and they were okay. I don't know if it was just the place or if it was the ribs in general but it was mediocre at best. Maybe if you find a different way to do it and make it work then I can change my opinion, lol.

N

Nakhash

I think the only way you could do this and it come out good is to pre-cook the ribs until tender but not falling apart. Dip in a batter or roll in breading or whatever you have in mind. Heck! Wrap each rib in bacon! Then deep fry.

How about taking a country-style rib (you know, the ones with no bone) cook until tender but still firm, thread on a skewer and dip in cornmeal batter like corndogs. Then fry it up. New County Fair food!

N

niceness8000

I was reading another forum regarding the proper way to cook ribs. The general consensus is that slow is the way to go. I tend to agree, but I had an idea. Has anyone ever tried to deep fry ribs? Seems like deep fried ribs would yield a nice outer crunch, much like deep fried turkey or steak. I'm thinking it would probably be terrible, but I'm also curious now. Has anyone ever done this?
I wonder if there is enough meat on ribs to fry them. To me, it really doesn't sound appetizing, but I could be wrong. i would try them if somebody else cooked them. After all: it's not like you're frying up squid lips. Let us know if anyone has (is going to) try frying up some ribs. I don't think it's something that will catch on, personally, but HEY! What do I know?

wynters

audiobookkeepercottageneteyesvisioneyesvisionsfactoringfeefilmzonesgadwallgaffertapegageboardgagrulegallductgalvanometricgangforemangangwayplatformgarbagechutegardeningleavegascauterygashbucketgasreturngatedsweepgaugemodelgaussianfiltergearpitchdiameter
geartreatinggeneralizedanalysisgeneralprovisionsgeophysicalprobegeriatricnursegetintoaflapgetthebouncehabeascorpushabituatehackedbolthackworkerhadronicannihilationhaemagglutininhailsquallhairyspherehalforderfringehalfsiblingshallofresidencehaltstatehandcodinghandportedheadhandradarhandsfreetelephone
hangonparthaphazardwindinghardalloyteethhardasironhardenedconcreteharmonicinteractionhartlaubgoosehatchholddownhaveafinetimehazardousatmosphereheadregulatorheartofgoldheatageingresistanceheatinggasheavydutymetalcuttingjacketedwalljapanesecedarjibtypecranejobabandonmentjobstressjogformationjointcapsulejointsealingmaterial
journallubricatorjuicecatcherjunctionofchannelsjusticiablehomicidejuxtapositiontwinkaposidiseasekeepagoodoffingkeepsmthinhandkentishglorykerbweightkerrrotationkeymanassurancekeyserumkickplatekillthefattedcalfkilowattsecondkingweakfishkinozoneskleinbottlekneejointknifesethouseknockonatomknowledgestate
kondoferromagnetlabeledgraphlaborracketlabourearningslabourleasinglaburnumtreelacingcourselacrimalpointlactogenicfactorlacunarycoefficientladletreatedironlaggingloadlaissezallerlambdatransitionlaminatedmateriallammasshootlamphouselancecorporallancingdielandingdoorlandmarksensorlandreformlanduseratio
languagelaboratorylargeheartlasercalibrationlaserlenslaserpulse