• The bbqgeeks forum is moving to a new server! Posting will be closed until the move is complete.

Your own potato chips

B

Burg14

I want to make my own potato chips - anyone have any tips? I know I would have to slice the potatoes really thin and then fry them. How do you get them to taste different? You know like salt and vinegar or whatever?

M

MsrCfsg

I don't know about anyone else, but I say stay away from vinegar when frying chips.
I don't use it. I just turn up the heat setting on my deep fryer and put pre cut "slithers" of potatoes in there for about 5 to 6 minutes. The only problem I've had with it is this: I always end up with dark brown/reddish chips. I then of course put a little Tony Chacheros seasoning on there and call them cajun chips. But if I could just get them to come out like lays I would be happy. Whenever I take them out when they are whitish they come out way too soft.

R

Rphoenix

I've tried a salt & vinegar recipe before that requires you to dip the potato slices for a few minutes before directly frying them. They were great, but not exactly the type of salt & vinegar chips I like (that would be Lay's). I've yet to find one that matches theirs even by half.

R

rayne

A couple of our locals restaurants here offer homemade chips and they are delicious, especially when dipped in ranch dressing. Sometimes they are a little greasy, but still good.

J

Jessi

I wouldn't personally try to make them salt and vinegar simply because I don't know how to get the vinegar taste without liquid. Any other seasonings, though, are really easy. Simply deep fry them and then sprinkle with whatever spices and salt you want. It tends to stick rather well.

R

rollybooz

Usually potato chips are seasoned after they are fried by evenly sprinkling seasoning powder over the chips. The heat from the freshly fried chips usually allows the seasoning powder to stick onto them just fine, sometimes melting them a little. If you were to soak the chips prior to deep-frying them, that I have not tried personally, but I guess you probably have to dry the exterior of the chips before placing them into the oil so that it wouldn't be too soggy and the splash would not be that great? If it's soaked long enough, I'm sure the taste would already have seeped into the chips already.

I

Isabellas2007

I have never made my own chips before. However, it does sound like it would be lower in cost then buying the bags which cost a fortune. I mean I can spend some time making them if this is going to save me money!

D

dissn_it

I have never tried to make my own potato chips before either. This would be good to do and would save a lot of money. It would probably be a lot healthier, too. I am thinking that if you soaked the potato slices in the vinegar, fry them and then salt them when they are finished, they would taste pretty good.

J

Jessi

I have never made my own chips before. However, it does sound like it would be lower in cost then buying the bags which cost a fortune. I mean I can spend some time making them if this is going to save me money!
Oh it's definitely much cheaper. You can buy an entire 10 lb bag of potatoes for less than a bag of good chips often times. Even if your prices vary, you can still get a 5lb bag for cheaper than chips and that makes a ton more chips, no doubt.

M

Mrs. Pirz

You can flavor them however you want which is very fun!!! You can make any flavor you want and thats much cheaper than buying many bags of different flavors to please everyone when entertaining.

B

beckyv1265

I want to make my own potato chips - anyone have any tips? I know I would have to slice the potatoes really thin and then fry them. How do you get them to taste different? You know like salt and vinegar or whatever?
If you want a salt aand vinegar style flavor have you tried frying dill pickles? Thats a great way. I have used dried ranch dip dusted on my potatoe chips. You can also try making a vinegar and dill dip for your chips might solve your issues. You can try other dry sesoning like chili season mix or taco season mix aand place you chips in paper bag with the mix and shake it up.

I

Isabellas2007

Oh it's definitely much cheaper. You can buy an entire 10 lb bag of potatoes for less than a bag of good chips often times. Even if your prices vary, you can still get a 5lb bag for cheaper than chips and that makes a ton more chips, no doubt.
I was going to ask that last night, but forgot! How many pounds of potato chips do you get? Does the entire sack of potatoes make an equal amount of chips or a little bit less.

K

Kabob

I don't have a deep-fryer. I use a pot on the stove, fill it with an inch or two of oil, let it heat, and then let the chips cook. You could also do it in the oven. The seasoning comes after they are done, for me.

S

shaun

My tips would be to slice the potato on a mandolin, you can slice the chips really fine and it makes it easier. The oil temperature should be 180 degrees celsius, any hotter and the chips can burn quickly. For flavoring, you can buy salt and vinegar flavored salt, you can also buy powdered vinegar. It doesn't work with liquid vinegar.

P

Pat

Powdered vinegar is the way to go. Liquid vinegar would make it hard to fry, too wet. I have made my own chips a few time, they are good and will try again.

J

Ja'cobeC

Search it on youtube, so you could see how to make it step by step. I'm the type of person that has to see it not read and do it lol. That is how I learned to make my own.

Y

Youlovejordan

I wouldn't use salt & liquid vinegar you should try using dry vinegar season instead. It will be a better taste. I've never tried it with liquid vinegar but I doubt that it would taste good. Just experiment with some seasonings, it'll come out fine.

A

april d gilliam

If you're wanting them to be as close to the thing you buy in the stores, the tips I would offer would be to slice them really thin, and make sure that you press the water out of them before frying. I put my potatoes in a single layer between two paper towels, and roll a rolling pin over them to press out the moisture. As for flavoring, I really don't know what you could do... Seems a bit too complicated for me! haha

B

BBQueen

This sounds delicious. I have never tried to make my own chips before but I did see them at a local festival last night. I may just have to give them a try after reading this though. Thank you April for the advice on pressing out the water.

S

shaun

i've tried flavoring potato chips with liquid vinegar and it didn't work very well, the chips lost their crispy texture and the vinegar flavor wasn't strong enough. Seasoning with dried vinegar is a better option and there are other seasonings you could use like onion powder etc.